Monday 8 April 2013

Twenty and Jaded, Or I Just Feel Like Doctor Who is Broken and Can Never Be Fixed

Somewhere along the way something terrible happened to Doctor Who*. I pinpoint its beginnings as being that awful pirate episode. Aside from a few quality episodes, the general quality of writing just hasn't been up to scratch since. I swear if there's one more 'I wear a _ now, _s are cool' joke I will flip a table - so much of the humour lies in being self-referential, and while I still laugh, it's also pretty lazy. I do like Clara, I find her intrigue suitably intriguing, and I got the warm fuzzies in the second episode of the new stuff seeing the Doctor get all excited showing his new companion around, but it felt a lot like the first episode where he took Amy to Space Future - very formulaic. I am feeling all jaded, which I hope is just hormones and the lack of cake near my face, but I really hope the show picks up again. Mostly I just want Neil Gaiman to write the whole show, but then I also want him to keep writing other stuff.

Speaking of which, I'm getting pretty keen for The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

When was the last historical figure episode of Doctor Who? We need another really good one of those.

Even the first episode of season 3 of Game of Thrones felt kind of lackluster. I think I need to eat half my weight in cake and read my new Raymond Chandler novel and try to fight back my hormones.

No, wait, twice my weight in cake. Otherwise there is not a lot of cake.

*Apologies for the really rambling Who post to the four people who occasionally look at this blog - one of whom is Mum. I just needed to write something while I wait for the new Game of Thrones. I'd write about clothes but I can't be bothered getting up to get my camera. WHY IS EVERYTHING SO HARD

No comments:

Post a Comment